1. Name The name of this organization shall be the Mississippi Chiropractic Association and it may hereafter be referred to as the MCA.
2. Purpose The purpose of the Mississippi Chiropractic Association includes
1. Membership Committee The Executive Board shall constitute the Membership Committee. All applications for membership shall be made on forms furnished by the MCA, and until all requirements designated thereon are complied with, no membership shall become effective.
2. Dues Anyone who is applying for MCA membership must follow the fee structure set on the MCA application.
3. Emeritus/Lifetime Membership May be granted without dues or voting privileges to chiropractors who have practiced fifty (50) years or more, or at the discretion of the board of directors of MCA. Life membership dues are complimentary.
4. Honorary Membership May be granted without dues or voting privileges to Doctors of Chiropractic or laypersons that have made outstanding contributions to the profession, or becomes disabled or handicapped etc. at the discretion of the Board of Directors.
1. Dues Dues are established by the Board of Directors and due January 1st of each year. Prorated dues will be allowed as approved by MCA Board of Directors.
2. Fiscal Year The fiscal year begins January 1st and ends December 31st of each year.
3. Delinquency Any member of the Association who is delinquent in dues for a period of thirty (30) days is notified of the delinquency and suspended from membership until dues are paid. For voting privileges, dues must be paid a minimum of ten (10) days prior to the vote.
4. Refunds No dues will be refunded.
1. Directors The governing body of the Association is the Board of Directors, which has authority and is responsible for the supervision, control, and direction of the Association.
3. Election and Term of Office Each recognized district shall elect a representative and alternate prior to the annual convention. The Executive Board shall be elected every other year for a two-year term at the fall business meeting by a simple majority of the votes cast. The MCA treasurer shall provide a list of eligible voting members prior to elections. The Board of Directors shall be installed at the annual business meeting. Newly elected officers shall assume office thirty (30) days after installation.
The MCA Board of Directors shall determine recognized geographical districts and such districts shall be outlined on the MCA application for membership.
4. Eight Geographical Districts
5. Vacancies If a vacancy occurs among the district representatives and/or alternates, for any reason, the position is filled for the un-expired portion of the term by the Board members.
6. Meetings The Board of Directors meets at least quarterly at whatever time and place it selects. The presence of any ten directors constitutes a quorum. A majority of directors where a quorum is present is necessary to make a decision except where some other number is required by law or by these bylaws. Proxy voting is permitted. District Alternates are recognized to vote only when the district representative is not present.
7. Removal A district representative and/or alternate may be removed by a two-thirds vote of the regular membership in his/her district.
8. Compensation Directors do not receive compensation for their services.
9. Geographical districts may be altered, changed, or split at the discretion of the MCA Board.
1. Duties Each member of the Executive Board shall perform those duties that are usual to their position and that are assigned to them by the Board of Directors.
2. Vacancies If a vacancy occurs among the Executive Board, the position is filled for the unexpired portion of the term by the Board of Directors.
1. Proposed Changes of By-Laws (initiative) Proposed changes and/or amendments of the by-laws of the MCA may be initiated by petition, signed by at least one tenth of the MCA membership and filed with the secretary. The proposed changes and/or amendments shall be mailed to the MCA membership at least fifteen (15) days prior to the vote. Any such measure shall be voted on at the annual meeting or at a special meeting for that purpose. Two-thirds of the members voting is required for the changes and/or amendments; however, if the Board of Directors feels it necessary to make expedient changes and/or amendments, it may have discussion and vote. Two-thirds of the Board of Directors shall be required for changes and/or amendments. Such changes shall be presented to the general membership for ratification at the next general membership meeting.
2. Amendment All proposed amendments to these by-laws shall be mailed to each member of the MCA by the secretary at least fifteen (15) days preceding the time said amendments are to be considered and any amendment shall be adopted by two-thirds vote of the members voting.
3. Parliamentary Procedure Robert's Rules of Order, except where it conflicts with Charter Provision or By-Laws of this Association, shall govern the proceedings of the MCA and of the Board of Directors.
1. Appointments require membership.
1. Canon of Ethics The Canon of Ethics, as hereby designed, shall govern the conduct of members of the MCA and their relations with one another and the public which are as follows.
Canon of Ethics
Canon I: General MCA Members shall at all times be guided by the highest standards of moral conduct in all dealings with patients, the general public, and other members of the profession.
Canon II: Doctor-Patient Relationship
Canon III: Professional and Public Relationship.
Canon IV: Seal The seal of the Corporation shall contain the words, "The Mississippi Chiropractic Association" in circular form.